Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Woof!

John Holt did a lot of soul covers over the years, and one of his better ones is this one of the O'Jays' hit 'Brandy', a great song about love, loss and loneliness, even if it is about a runaway dog. It has the same country vibe here as it does in the original version and is very nice. The dub's OK rather than outstanding.

The only other O'Jays cover I can think of off the top of my head is 'Ship Ahoy' by the Cimarons - good song but not a patch on the original. Shame really, because they were a great group.

Here's the original, which I also really like:

3 comments:

the_voice_of_reason said...

Are you not forgetting Delroy Wilson's "We're All in This thing Together", produced by Gussie Clarke in about 1977/78, and Home T, Cocoa Tea and Shabba Ranks' "Your Body's Here with Me" from 1994? Third World covered "Love Train" in 1999; I haven't heard it, but reviews suggest it's not much cop.

Steve said...

I was also forgetting 'Now That We've Found Love'!

rastaman said...

thank you, thank you very much I really enjoyed this ridym!!!
hevvie!!!!!