Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Medley Train

This is going to be the last medley-themed post for a while. It's a double helping of deejay goodness over backing tracks featuring Ken Boothe and the Cables. First up is 'Rhythm Train', a slick U Roy toast over the first part of Ken Boothe's 'Six In One' (a.k.a. 'The Great Ken Boothe'), which originally came out on Aquarius. The rhythm track is a really polished mash-up of 'Train Is Coming', 'I've Got To Tell You Goodbye' and another tune I can't quite put my finger on. It's the perfect stage for a bit of showing off, and U Roy doesn't disappoint: this is a masterclass in the art of toasting. I Roy used the second half of the same medley for his 'Ken Boothe Special', which is good, but not quite as good. 

The other tune, 'Roots & Soul' is a bizarre deejay, bongo and whistling cut of a Cables medley that features 'Baby Why', 'What Kind Of World' and 'Salt Of The Earth'. It's records like this that keep me interested in Jamaican music: endlessly inventive and a lot of fun.

Anyway, here are some of the original vocals used in these two singles - I hope you enjoy them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where have all the links gone?

Marcus

Please don´t give up this wonderful blog!

Cristie Sampson said...

I'm stoked I stumbled upon this blog. I am just now getting into roots reggae. I am listening to it mostly through RadioFlag.com and becoming more intrigued by the political undertones and emotion in the lyrics and beats. But this blog really helps me expand my knowledge of certain albums and songs to look out for. I will absolutely be researching more artists to become more familiar. Thanks Roots from the Yard.

Unknown said...

IF U GUYS CAN, ADD THIS TO YOUR BLOG
SINCE THIS IS ROOTS FROM THE YARD,
PHILIP FRAZIER, LIVING LEGEND! PASTE AND COPY IN BROWSER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKS1LiccFfQ&feature=plcp

Unknown said...

Hi Roots,

This is Willa from evosound sound label. I would like you to send in our latest tracks of Alborosie for review. You can also stream from Spotify (URL:https://play.spotify.com/album/1Fn0eDiErYKmaKs5Jx6aqC) or Visit AlborosieVEVO for the latest music.

Your comments, review and shares mean a lot to us!
Please feel free to contact me on willa@evomg.com for any questions.

Willa Chan
Evolution Music Group

Anonymous said...

dr tumi's album download
umlazi songs




lil wayne funeral zip

lil baby sum to prove mp3 download