Sunday, May 10, 2009

Tel Aviv

Hi,

Years ago I picked up an LP called 'World War Dub part 1' by some dude I'd never heard of called Prince Hammer. It was great, and had a sound like nothing else I'd ever heard before. It got me in the mood for hearing some more, and over the years I've found a whole load more of his records to enjoy. There's a really good interview with the man himself right here:

http://www.reggae-vibes.com/concert/prhammer/prhammer.htm

Prince Hammer's first record was actually credited to Glen Brown, who produced and played melodica. It was called 'Heavy Streggy A Lego' but it's better known as 'Tel Aviv'. The b-side features a really nice dubby instrumental by Ron Wilson. The instrumental is seriously heavy - it blew three sets of my speakers before I figured out just how loud was too loud. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mkjmz2hiltj

2 comments:

the_voice_of_reason said...

this rhythm was first known as "Get Up", no? It was redone with a much more prominent bass for "Tubbys at the Control" by U-Roy, and there's an unexpected dub cut of it on the B-side of Welton Irie's "Wicked Tumbling", unless my memory's playing tricks on me; I think the A-side versioned Glen Roy Richard's "Wicked Can't Run Away"

lala said...

steve says:
There's also a vocal version by some guy called Dovey Jackson, 'I Think It's Best To Forget Me', that has to be the most piss-poor tune Glen Brown ever released (although Richie Mac's version of 'Anyone Who Had A Heart' comes very close).

By the way, has anyone ever come across Glen Brown's version of 'Da Ya Think I'm Sexy'? I know it sounds like a piss-take, but I've been looking for this one for years.