Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Rhythm Master

Here's an uptempo roots tune from 1979. It's 'Higher Man' by Glen Brown, and it's very nice in a far more polished way than the early-seventies tunes he's best known for. The label is one of my favourites - a really simple design that just works.


This is quite a rare record, I got mine off a list at the start of the nineties, flogged it, and then picked up another copy for next to nothing on ebay a couple of years ago. I've never seen it anywhere else - I hope you enjoy it too.

3 comments:

the_voice_of_reason said...

Now this is very interesting indeed. Back in 1979 a chap I knew down in Leith came by a very rare Glenmore Brown steppers 12", very unlike his older Pantomine and Dwyer tunes, called "Do the Right Thing". In the intervening thirty and more years I have been utterly unable to trace any reference to the track anywhere - the only evidence I have of its existence is a very worn old cassette tape that's barely playable.

There is no doubt whatsoever that the rhythm of "DTRT" and "Higher Man" are identical, down to the exact same horn solos, although the vocals are wholly different. I suppose I'll just have to redouble my efforts to find reference to the 12" somewhere on the web.

rastaman said...

GIVE THANK ROOTS FROM THE YARD TEAM.
TRUTH!!
BLESSED LOVE

novu said...

this got a nice funky feeling, soulful singing and deep mixing.. i enjoy it! thanks

yes, funny bending of letters.

voice of reason, your stories really round up the blog. teach the youth!