Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Better late than never...


That tune-a-day thing didn't last long; day 3 and I'm already playing catch-up! In my defence I was still at work at 11pm last night, and when I got home I never wanted to see another f***ing computer for the rest of my life (yet here I am the next morning...). Anyway, this is another old favourite, Horace Andy's 'Children Of Israel' on the Santic label.
This is actually the next cut to 'Pablo In Dub / Hell Boat' (rather than the other way round), which was Leonard Chin's first record as a producer. That was enough of a hit in Jamaica to bring other big-name artists to the young producer; Horace Andy was the first of them, writing the lyrics to 'Children Of Israel' within a couple of hours of hearing the backing track. It's a beautiful impassioned vocal with quite a meditative vibe, and some interesting sound effects on the dub. I didn't actually like it that much when I first heard it, but it grew on me and now I find myself coming back to it again and again and again.
http://www.mediafire.com/?mwl5byqijim
Enjoy.

3 comments:

lala said...

slightly grotty snap of the Dennis Brown label kindly provided by clash of 7s

the_voice_of_reason said...

Is the photo not of a 45 of a different song?

The "Pablo In Dub" rhythm is a cracker; I seem to recall Big Joe cut it as "Santic Way" in the mid-seventies as well

lala said...

er well yes
that's why i usually leave steve to do the labels - he knows the difference between d brown & h andy, & i definitely bow to his much greater knowledge!

i'll fix that and retire with shameface

----

new snap teefed from reggae.co.uk