Thursday, December 17, 2009

Reggae for yesterday, today & tomorrow




Here's yesterday's record, http://www.mediafire.com/?ibjym51ncyw Mail Man by Charley Ace, a great version of a Stranger Cole tune called 'My Application'. The organ line is unusual but very effective, and the dub has been done in a similar style to what Errol T was doing at Randys. Charley Ace was a superb deejay, and a very under-rated producer - I'm hoping to do a special post on his productions in the near future - as well as owning the coolest mobile record shop in Kingston.

Today's is another great deejay tune, http://www.mediafire.com/?uldw2mhqmwl Land Of Poverty by Big Joe. I've never heard of a vocal to this but I recently found an instrumental cut by Rick Frater called 'Sunday Creation'. It's a seriously rare tune, and an absolutely fantastic rhythm.

While I'm here, I may as well bank tomorrow's record as well. It's another deejay tune, http://www.mediafire.com/?d3m13zyzq4i More Heartaches,  Lizzy's version of the Beltones' 'No More Heartaches' which was one of the very earliest reggae records. The deejay side is good but I actually prefer the b-side. I'm a sucker for a good instrumental and this bubbling joyful organ cut really hits the spot.

Anyway I hope you enjoy these three, I've been meaning to put them up for a while but just never got around to it.

2 comments:

the_voice_of_reason said...

Re: the Beltones "No More Heartaches" riddim - Not a particular fan of Lizzy, if truth be told, but I'm with you on the Winston Wright cut, which is up to the mark.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Thanks for all these Big Joe posts! Mos def one of my favs! The "Jah Guide" 7 is the cleanest rip I've heard yet, cool up!

Greggae, California