Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I can't believe I missed out 'Standing Firm' from the list of 'Take Five' versions, especially since it was on my wants list for years before I got it. There are a couple of other versions connected with Jacob Miller as well - such as this (which also slipped my mind).


Although credited to Jah Devon, this is actually Dean Fraser backed by the Fatman Rhythm Section. It's quite a nice jazzy take on the rhythm, a bit faster than most of the other versions, and it has a really good dub.

I've only ever seen two tunes on the Jaques label, this and David Jah Son's 'Jah Is Coming For His Earth One Day' which is a wicked version of 'Every Day Is A Holiday'. I always liked the look of the label as well, not least because I used to love 'The Wizard Of Id' when I was little.

1 comment:

the_voice_of_reason said...

Great tune - Jacob Miller wasn't anyone's idea of a nice guy, and he cut some truly terrible "crossover" tunes for Island, but he still had a decent ear, as can be heard on this, and on his Augustus Pablo 45s. Inner Circle? Most of their stuff with him leaves me a bit "wavy hand".