Sunday, March 07, 2010

Cheesy Chariot

I make no apologies for liking 'Ride A Wild Horse', Chariot Riders doing their take on Dee Clarks' 1975 pop hit, although I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea. This version is mostly instrumental, with the arrangements staying pretty close to the original, and Kim Harriott sings just the chorus with a bit of backup from Derrick. The band, as always, is really tight and the synth is on overdrive.

This wasn't the first reggae version of one of Dee Clark's songs. Derrick Morgan did a version of 'Hey Little Girl' on the Jackpot label (personally I like it better than the original, plus it had a nice cut to Roy C on the b-side). 



For me this is just a really enjoyable tune (it sounds like it might've been quite fun to record as well) - but then I love that sort of crossover stuff that Derrick Harriott used to do; tunes like 'Fly Robin Fly' and 'Hey Mister'. 

1 comment:

the_voice_of_reason said...

And of course, when talking about Jamaican versions of Dee Clark tunes, you need to go back to Lee Perry and (I think) the Wailers doing "Just Keep It Up" back about 1965-66 with the Soul Vendors; it's on the Heartbeat "Chicken Scratch" comp